Kouga Wind Farm
Kouga Wind Farm is an 80 MW wind farm comprising 32 Nordex 2.5 MW N90 turbines. The project is one of 28 Round 1 REIPPPP projects to be approved by the DoE. It is situated on 28 hectares of farmland between St Francis Bay and Oyster Bay and has been fully operational since March 2015. The wind farm’s primary areas of community economic development are Sea Vista and Umzamowethu.
The wind project committed 1.09% of its total revenue towards socio-economic development. A community trust holds 26% of the shares in the project company.
More info on the project website http://www.kougawindfarm.co.za/
Community benefit highlights
- Solar powered computer lab for primary school
- Training, infrastructure and management support for community crèche
- Drivers license course for local unemployed youth
- Team up to clean up- Renewable energy training and green community work with top academic achievers from other provinces and math and science learners
- Transport for home based care local hospice
Community benefits created to-date
Investment of community funds to date
|R 6.8 mil|
The Kouga Wind Farm Community Development Trust holds 26 % of the total project shares. The trust will benefit citizens residing within 50km radius of the project.