Tsitsikamma Community Wind Farm
The Tsitsikamma Community Wind Farm is a 95 MW wind farm comprising 56 Nordex N117 P91 turbines. The Department of Energy approved the project in Round 1 of the REIPPPP. It is situated on farmland close to the town of Humansdorp in the Eastern Cape province and has been fully operational since June 2015.
The wind farm’s primary areas of community economic development include the communities and towns located within a 50km radius. The project committed 1.5% of its total revenue towards socio-economic development and 0.6% to developing local enterprises. A community trust holds 2.5% of the shares in the project company.
Community benefit highlights
- Adopt-A-School-Programme transforming schools into safe and inspiring ‘dream places
- Refurbish an old community building into a multi-purpose centre
- SMME training and support programme focusing on female-owned businesses
- Leadership camp building capacity of community leaders
- Sports kits donation and tournament sponsorship including rugby, soccer, netball
Community benefits created to-date
The Tsitsikamma Community Trust holds 2.5% of the total shares in the wind farm project company.
The beneficiaries of the trust’s activities are the residents of the surrounding towns and villages, including Wittekleibosch, Doriskraal, Nuweplaas, Snyklip, Clarkson, Ekuphumleni, Eerste Rivier, Woodlands, Kwaaibrand and Kareedouw.